As an endodontic patient, what should I expect?

A comprehensive examination to diagnose oral pain and pulpal injury to determine if the tooth in question is a good candidate for endodontic therapy. Non-surgical root canal therapy is used to remove diseased pulp and then the root canal system is thoroughly cleaned and sealed.

Occasionaly, microsurgery may be indicated. We are experts in performing this procedure, and utilize sophisticated equipment to ensure the best result.

Common Problems

Sharp pain when biting down on food.

There are several causes of this type of pain: decay, a loose filling, or a crack in the tooth. There may be damage to the pulp tissue inside the tooth.

If the problem is a cracked tooth, your dentist may send you to an endodontist. Cracked tooth pain comes from damage to the inner soft tissue of the tooth, the pulp. Endodontic therapy can relieve that pain.

Lingering pain after eating hot or cold foods.

This probably means the pulp has been damaged by deep decay or physical trauma.

Your endodontist can save the tooth with root canal therapy.

Constant and severe pain to pressure, swelling of the gum tissue or sensitivity to touch.

A tooth may have become abscessed, causing the surrounding bone and tissue to become infected.

Your endodontist will evaluate and provide appropriate treatment to relieve the pain to save the tooth. Take over-the-counter analgesics until you see your endodontist.

Dull ache and pressure in upper teeth and jaw.

The pain of a sinus headache is often felt in the face and teeth. Grinding of teeth, a condition known in endodontics as bruxism, can also cause this type of ache.

For sinus headache, try over-the-counter analgesics or sinus medicine. If pain is severe or chronic, see your endodontist for evaluation.

Chronic pain in head, neck, or ear.

Sometimes pulp-damaged teeth cause pain in various parts of the head and neck.

See your endodontist for an evaluation. If the problem is not related to the tooth, your endodontist will refer you to the appropriate dental specialist or physician.